Easy-Peasy Skirts

| Apparel, For Kids, Tutorial

easy-peasy skirts

I have a lot of mom friends who don’t sew.  I’m always surprised at their fear of sewing.  So this tutorial is for all those mom’s who need a little help with an easy project — or for the seasoned sewer looking to use up some fabric from your stash!

easy-peasy skirts

This simple skirt tutorial will work for any age (children through adults).  The skirt is made from one (or two for the adult) pieces of fabric sewn together with an elastic waistband.

easy-peasy skirts

I’ll show a few examples of simple variations you can do, but there’s so many things you could do to make it unique!  You could also try a patchwork skirt by simply sewing your leftover fabric together to make a larger piece.

Start by measuring the waist and length for your skirt.  For my daughter, her waist measured 20″ around and from her waistline to just below the knee it was 13″.  You can make your skirt any length you like, but I like it a little longer.  To make it a nice full skirt we’ll double your waistline measurement (if you want it less full, multiply it by 1.5).  To the desired length, add a total of 2.5″ (1/2″ for the bottom seam and 2″ for the top elastic casing).

So here’s the dimensions for your fabric piece.

Width = 2 x Waist measurement
Length = desired length + 2.5″

If your desired width is wider than your fabric (most fabrics are 44″ wide), you can sew two pieces together.

I like to use 1″ wide elastic for these skirts.  To determine the length of elastic you’ll need, start with the waist measurement and subtract one inch.  This will hold your skirt in place nicely.

The Basic Easy-Peasy Skirt.

easy-peasy skirts

To make a basic skirt, start by sewing your fabric together to create your side seam.  Start by putting your fabric right sides together and sew with a 1/2″ seam allowance (black line in the photo).  Finish the edge with a serger or zig-zag stitch to prevent fraying (white stitches in the photo).

easy-peasy skirts

Alternatively, you can use a French Seam which will hide your raw edges and look very professional.  This type of seam does not work well for thick fabrics.  So if you’re using something thick, like corduroy or denim, you should use the method above.  Quilting weight fabric is about the thickness I would ever use a french seam for.

To make a french seam, start with your fabric wrong sides together and sew with a 1/4″ (or less) seam allowance.

easy-peasy skirts

Turn the fabric and press your seam flat so that the right sides of the fabric are now together.

easy-peasy skirts

Sew along your seam with a 3/8″ seam allowance.

easy-peasy skirts

This catches the smaller seam and traps it inside – so your raw edges are completely encased.  Iron your seam down flat against the fabric.

Hemming the bottom.

Fold the raw edge at the bottom of the skirt up 1/4″.  Press.  Fold up an additional 1/4″ and press.

easy-peasy skirts

Pin in place and sew in place with a seam close to the upper edge of the fold.

Finish the top.

To make the casing for your elastic, fold down the top edge 1/2″ and iron in place.  Fold down again 1.5″ and iron.  Pin in place.  (If you’re using elastic other than 1″ wide, you’ll need to adjust this size by adding 1/2″ to the width of your elastic.  So if you’re elastic is only 1/2″ wide, add 1/2″ and then your second fold would be 1″, not 1.5″.)

easy-peasy skirts

Sew around 1/4″ from the bottom of the folded edge leaving an opening of about 3 or 4 inches unstitched.

easy-peasy skirts

Place a safety pin at one end of the elastic and start feeding it through the hole you left in the casing.

easy-peasy skirts

When you’ve gotten the elastic all the way through the casing, pin the two ends of the elastic together with a 1″ overlap.

Sew in place.

easy-peasy skirts

Tuck the elastic into the casing and pin.

easy-peasy skirts

Sew seam closed and you’re done with the basic skirt!

Variations:

Add a little bling!

easy-peasy skirts

One of the simplest ways to add a unique touch to your skirt is to add some trim (or bling) to the bottom of the skirt.  You could add lace or ribbon or little tiny pompoms like these!

easy-peasy skirts

I added the pompoms before I did the side seam, when the fabric was flat so that the ends of the trim are hidden in the side seam.

Add a simple stripe.

easy-peasy skirts

To add a stripe at the bottom, determine your stripe width (I added a 3″ stripe at the bottom) and subtract that length from your top half piece and add 1/2″ to the length of the top piece and add 1″ to the length of your desired stripe.

Place your stripe fabric and top fabric right sides together and sew with a 1/2″ seam allowance.

easy-peasy skirts

Finish the edge of the seam by serging or using a zig-zag.

easy-peasy skirts

Iron the seam down (towards the stripe).  Photo shows the opposite way.

and topstitch in place.

easy-peasy skirts

Continue sewing the skirt stitching the side seam next and then finishing the bottom and top.

Adding some embroidery.

easy-peasy skirts

Lastly you can add beauty to simple, plain fabric by adding a bit of embroidery.  Here I used Sashiko a type of Japanese embroidery which is simply a series of small, evenly spaced running stitches sewn in repeating simple geometric designs.

easy-peasy skirts

The stitch I’ve used here is a variation of Seven Treasures where two rows of the stitches are made and
horizontal lines were stitched above and below to encase it.  To add the design, I made a small sketch of the design on paper and sandwiched it with carbon paper against the fabric.  I traced the design leaving the impression on the fabric.  I repeated this all the way around the fabric.  Then I started stitching.  It took a little while (after all the full width of the skirt is 40″), but I love it!

easy-peasy skirts

I added the embroidery before I added the elastic, but after the bottom hem was stitched.  Of course you could do something much simpler — a simple running stitch around the skirt or a flower or two poking up from the bottom!

Let me know if you have any questions and Happy Sewing!!

81 Comments

81 Comments on Easy-Peasy Skirts

1. Sandy
    January 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM (5 years ago)

Thank you for such an awesome tutorial! I can’t wait to try one!

2. Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy
    January 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM (5 years ago)

Fantastic, and so easy! I’m looking forward to making lots of skirts like these as my Newbie grows up.

3. n*stitches
    January 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM (5 years ago)

Extremely cute! But I was actually eyeing your adoreable stick pins with the button heads. Where did you get those??

4. Anonymous
    January 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM (5 years ago)

Hi- I made one of these skirts and it’s come out quite well but I’m still a little unsure on adding the elastic- do I close both side seams up first and then case the elastic? Also is there any place on the skirt that is good to leave the gap for the elastic- i.e. near the side seam? Thanks

• Vanessa
      January 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM (5 years ago)

Yes, close the side seams before making the casing for the elastic. I like to leave my opening for the casing near the side seam, but it really doesn’t matter. Let me know if you have any more questions!

5. UK lass in US
    January 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM (5 years ago)

Sweet skirts – that sashiko embroidery looks lovely along the skirt edge

6. Anonymous
    March 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM (5 years ago)

After a careless comment alluding to a newfound desire to take up sewing my gadget obsessed hubby furnished me with a lovely new sewing machine that has been languishing in the basement for near 7 months, it’s only outing being to hem a pair of jeans. Now, with your clearly laid out step by step instructions along with pictures of the whole process, which I love, I really think even I might manage to realize some small tip of my sewing desires! Thank you so much. These are the best tutorials I have ever seen. I am so excited and so are my 2 daughters.

• Vanessa
      March 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM (5 years ago)

Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I’d love to see pictures when you’re done!

7. Anonymous
    April 21, 2012 at 3:56 AM (5 years ago)

Hello ! I would like to know , what fabric did you use to make your skirts ?

• Vanessa
      April 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM (5 years ago)

The solid brown is just KONA in chocolate. The purple animal corduroy print came from Jo-Ann. I don’t think they carry the exact one anymore, but something really close to it. The Apple print is from Timeless Treasures Fabric, pattern APPLE-C. Finally the kitten one — from Michale Miller, which I purchase here: (http://www.shopcraftyplanet.com/products/Kitties-%252d-Cream.html) — also got the mini pompoms from crafty planet too.

8. The Pear's Nest
    April 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM (5 years ago)

One of the best tutorials I’ve seen. I’m a beginner and I think your directions are very clear. Thank you.

9. Jordan A. Holley
    May 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM (5 years ago)

Thank you so much! I, a poor college student and fashionista, am so excited to find this! I am going to make so many unique one-of-a-kind and (hopefully) inexpensive skirts! THANK YOU!!!!!

10. sPoirot
    July 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM (5 years ago)

When I was young I made everything I wore but now I haven’t sewn in years. This great tut has inspired me. I think I’ll have to make some of these for my beautiful little grandnieces! Good job on the tut, thank you for sharing!

11. Gracie
    July 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM (5 years ago)

Thanks so much for this great tutorial! I just bought a sewing machine and undertook your easy-peasy skirt as my first project! I made a few mistakes and learned a ton, but overall I am really happy with my first creation 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to help beginners like me accomplish something easy that builds confidence for the more challenging projects to come!

12. Anonymous
    September 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM (5 years ago)

Hi Vanessa! I feel VERY silly, b/c this seems like a really dumb question: Once you’ve determined your measurements and purchased the fabric, how do you cut out the shape of the skirt? Is there a pattern available that I just can’t find? In other words, I understand that the measurement across the waistband should be the waist size x2, but how wide should the bottom be?

Thanks so much for putting this together! I’m a beginner, and after reading your tutorial I can’t wait to get started. 🙂

Carrie Moore

• Vanessa
      September 19, 2012 at 7:07 AM (5 years ago)

There’s no pattern. The skirt piece is a large rectangle. So the bottom of the skirt is also 2x waist size. When you add the elastic to the top to gather the skirt, this gives it shape. The bottom of the skirt remains the same size as you start with, i.e. 2x waist size.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Vanessa

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM (5 years ago)

Whoa! Too easy to be true! 🙂 Thanks so much; most especially for not making me feel like the mo-mo I am… *grin*

13. Jennifer Collier
    September 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM (4 years ago)

Hi Vanessa….I just found your blog today when looking for toddler skirt tutorials. I followed your pattern and made the cutest little skirt for my 2 1/2 year old. I have never made any sort of clothing for her before, so I’m super excited that it turned out well. Tomorrow I’m going to make a matching one for my 15 month old. Thanks so much for the great tutorial!! Jen

14. Anonymous
    October 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM (4 years ago)

Thank you thank you thank you!
    My daughter just turned 17 months old and I was able to make her the most adorable Ladybug costume for Halloween this morning, thanks to your tutorial. Your instructions and photographs were FANTASTIC! I havent touched a sewing machine since Home Ec (15+ years ago)but I felt this strong urge to make her costume myself and your instructions couldnt have been any easier. We have a family gathering tomorrow and I plan to bring my lil Ladybug in her new skirt.
    Thanks for making Mommy’s first Halloween costume a huge success!
    ~Lindsay

15. Anonymous
    October 26, 2012 at 5:51 AM (4 years ago)

thank you! thank you! thank you! these skirts are just what i needed! these are so easy to make and are super cute! im such a mess when it comes to sewing! and you saved the day! thank you!

16. 4 tites graines
    November 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM (4 years ago)

Simple and efficient ! I love it !!!!

17. Bec584
    November 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM (4 years ago)

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
    I am not a sewer, but managed to whip up a little Christmas skirt for my 6mth old daughter in under an hour. I’m looking forward to trying it again with different materials as she grows. 🙂

18. Ani Errington
    November 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM (4 years ago)

just bought some gorgeous fabric with multicoloured elephants, going to make one of these for my 1 year old!

19. Anonymous
    December 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM (4 years ago)

Hi,

I booked marked your skirt tutorial. I have since made 3 skirts for my 5 year old and a skirt each for two of her friends. I am just beginning to sew. Prior to the skirts I had only made placemats and napkins!

Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial. I am sticking to the basic seam but hope to master the french one soon.

20. Anonymous
    January 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM (4 years ago)

Excellent work! This was such an easy tutorial to follow. Thanks!

21. Jenni
    March 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM (4 years ago)

Thanks for the measurements! It will make my skirt making adventures this afternoon much easier! And I don’t have to purchase a pattern. 🙂 Yay!

22. Anonymous
    April 10, 2013 at 5:22 AM (4 years ago)

Had to make an emergency birthday present this morning – whipped one of these up in 45 mins! What a life saver, thanks!

23. Jo
    April 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM (4 years ago)

PERFECT…!!!
    A friend has asked me to make a pimple pull-on skirt for her daughter & this will be my perfect pattern.
    Jo. xx

24. Doris Dhauw
    June 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM (4 years ago)

Wooww!!!
    I love this perfect skirt!!!
    I made one and it’s my first piece of clothing that I made. I just stayed at the basic kind off skirt because my fabric was really busy. Thank you!!!!
    xxDoris

25. Jennifer
    June 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM (4 years ago)

Hi, I just found your blog tonight and am a new follower on GFC. I have been looking for a very basic sewing tutorial for a skirt for my daughter (almost 5). The most basic one here is exactly what I wanted and you’ve even done it in corduroy which is what I will be using. I’m so excited to whip up some little skirts for her. Thanks for the tutorial. I’m really looking forward to reading more of your blog. 🙂

Jennifer

26. Anonymous
    August 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM (4 years ago)

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just made a skirt today for my 6 year old daughter and it turned out great. It was a trial run for a skirt I will make for part of her Swedish costume. Thank you thank you!

27. Anonymous
    September 13, 2013 at 5:23 AM (4 years ago)

Silly question…. is the elastic measured at the waist length + 1/2″ for the overlap?

28. Roseann Nicolls
    September 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM (4 years ago)

This comment has been removed by the author.

29. Bindhya
    November 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM (3 years ago)

thank you so much for the great tutorial.. got so many ideas… am gonna make one for my friends daughter..

30. Anonymous
    November 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM (3 years ago)

Is there anyway to make this skirt fuller? My granddaughter wants a “poofy” long skirt.

31. Cat London
    January 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for this! I knew I could figure out a skirt on my own but I’m still pretty new to sewing and this was SO much easier. My two-year-old adores “twirly skirts” and has been loving picking out fabric for me to make more for her! The two I’ve made so far have turned out great and took an amazingly short time to whip up.

32. orvine smith
    April 16, 2014 at 3:25 AM (3 years ago)

Yeah, I also heard from my neighbor that we can buy Brandy Melville Skirts and shorts from online stores at discounted prices. I really want to know from where I can get discount on these skirts?

33. Loren
    April 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM (3 years ago)

Wonderful skirts! And brilliant with no pattern.There are loads of tutorials like this on the web (I know coz I must have looked at them all!) but yours is absolutely the clearest! LOVE your embroidery. Couldn’t possibly do this myself!

I have just one question – Would you just cut your fabric piece as it comes off the roll or cut on the bias?

34. Rhonda Ziman
    May 9, 2014 at 3:48 AM (3 years ago)

YAY! I just made my 2 year old daughter the CUTEST little skirt using your tutorial, thank you! This is the first time i’ve sewed in 20 years, I’m so happy. I’m recovering from an accident and I need something to focus on thats not too taxing – this is perfect. I’m now eyeing my husbands old shirts and thinking I can convert them into rather nice skirts…. oh-oh…

35. Karen Court
    May 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for such a clear tutorial. I have just made my first skirt for my friend’s daughter who has just turned one. I used a navy cotton fabric with little strawberries on and it looks adorable. I tried it on my 9 month old son for size and it looks great! ha ha. 🙂

36. uglybeat
    June 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM (3 years ago)

Many thanks for this adorable and clear sewing pattern! I’m teaching a young one how to sew tomorrow morning and this’ll be a great project to work towards!!!

37. maria
    July 11, 2014 at 4:42 AM (3 years ago)

Thank you for this easy tutorial! With your help I managed to sew a cute skirt for my baby niece and I’m so happy that everything went just fine and I didn’t ruined the fabric (I have almost 0 experience in sewing).

38. Anonymous
    September 17, 2014 at 6:21 AM (3 years ago)

Please what is the measurement of the elastic.

39. Anonymous
    October 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM (2 years ago)

Just used this lovely blog post to create my first skirt! Lovely to follow, can’t wait to do more! Xx

40. Marnie
    December 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM (2 years ago)

What a great way for a beginner to make something wearable!! I rarely sew anymore, but whipped up 2 of these in one afternoon. (Wish I could post a photo – so cute!!) Thanks for the detailed instructions and helpful photos – I plan to make more!

41. Kristin
    January 21, 2015 at 12:50 PM (2 years ago)

Hi! So when making this skirt, after you have determined your width, do you then cut the fabric in half and sew two rectangles together? For example, if waist size is 20″, total fabric width should be 40″. Do I cut two 20″ pieces and make two side seams?

Thanks!

42. Karen Ford
    March 24, 2015 at 5:48 AM (2 years ago)

Brilliant! I’ve just made one in 1.5hrs for my granddaughter, i haven’t sewn for years!! Thank you

43. lindsay
    April 17, 2015 at 4:00 PM (2 years ago)

Hi I love this but don’t quite understand the elastic casing part. Why does it need to be folded down twice? Isn’t once enough? Thanks!

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      April 17, 2015 at 10:08 PM (2 years ago)

Folding it twice hides the raw edge so it won’t unravel. You can also finish the raw edge by serging it or using a zig zag stitch and then fold the casing once.

44. Katie
    August 8, 2015 at 3:38 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for the tip on the French seam! I haven’t sewn clothes in almost 10 years; I have been craft sewing, but my daughter starts kindergarten in a couple of weeks and I thought it would be fun to make her some one-of-a-kind play skirts to wear at school. I have two down, and I will probably whip out a few more today. Great easy tutorial that kept me from bothering with buying a pattern.

45. schen
    October 27, 2015 at 11:30 AM (1 year ago)

Hi,
    I just found your article and I’m about to try my hand in sewing. I find it so easy with your tutorial! I so excited!

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      October 27, 2015 at 8:55 PM (1 year ago)

Thanks!

46. Simone
    December 26, 2015 at 2:32 AM (1 year ago)

Just brought my 10 yo daughter her first sewing machine and used your tutorial to get her to sew her first skirt. She did great with only a little help from mum

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      January 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM (1 year ago)

Yay! So glad! Thanks for sharing. -Vanessa

47. Megan
    January 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM (1 year ago)

I found your site today and have made this skirt in just a couple hours and it turned out brilliantly! You have made it so easy and as my first ever attempt at making clothing (aside from pajama pants when I was in school 13 years ago 😉 I have the most adorable skirt for my 3 year old now that I am proud to have her show off! And I let her pick out the fabric which has owls and she is obsessed with it, I know she will love it! I even had the courage to add some sequin ribbon to the bottom hem! So cute! Thank you so much!

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      January 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM (1 year ago)

So happy your first skirt was a success! Happy sewing! -Vanessa

48. Roxie
    January 17, 2016 at 2:44 AM (1 year ago)

Bookmarked this page when I was looking at sewing projects, my husband bought me a sewing machine for christmas to get me back into the groove of things, I was so excited when I found a duvet set I had bought last year to use for Material, so last night I went to making my first item since high school, and it came out great, so simple and she loves it, now wants me to make her Dolly one, so thank you for this easy way on how to make it, sure Ill be making loads more 🙂

49. Stuart Spindlow
    January 30, 2016 at 6:18 AM (1 year ago)

Gorgeous collection of skits you have. I really love this.

50. Sue
    March 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM (1 year ago)

Thanks for the instructions. Can’t wait to make some of these skirts as I have lots of fabric to use up.

51. Virginia Rothrock
    April 6, 2016 at 1:07 PM (12 months ago)

Your instructions are so clear, thank you!

52. Micol
    May 5, 2016 at 12:45 PM (11 months ago)

Thank you for this, it’s a fantastic tutorial and I loved making the skirt (first skirt I have ever made!), however in mine the fabric around the elastic isn’t as raffled up! It’s literally straight… what am I doing wrong? I’m pretty sure the measurements are correct but I feel like I’m missing the trick! ! Thanks

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      May 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM (10 months ago)

The ruffling on the skirt comes from the extra fabric you have around the body which is why you have it 2x the waist measurement. If you want a fuller skirt, just increase the amount of fabric for the width.

53. Olivia
    August 2, 2016 at 1:09 PM (8 months ago)

This is exactly what I was looking for and it worked out great! Thank you so much for the really really helpful tutorial – perfect!

54. Rebecca Hall
    August 3, 2016 at 7:32 AM (8 months ago)

Wow…amazing! I’m new to sewing and was looking for a simple skirt to start with…it’s amazing! Definitelt making one for myself this afternoon! Very well written and clear…..THANK YOU!

55. Amanda
    August 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM (8 months ago)

So cute- can you tell me where to find the embroidery pattern?

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      August 10, 2016 at 1:37 PM (8 months ago)

I drew the pattern on with chalk. It’s modeled after a variation on Seven Wonders (Sashiko)

56. Soni
    October 3, 2016 at 4:54 AM (6 months ago)

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I just helped my 11 year old granddaughter make this. I think she is now hooked on sewing.

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      October 3, 2016 at 7:13 AM (6 months ago)

Yay! So glad!

57. Nikki
    November 20, 2016 at 6:45 AM (4 months ago)

Thanks for this! French seam part especially clear and useful. Thrilled with the little skirt I’ve made

58. Christine Bonet
    December 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM (4 months ago)

Thank you so much. Great tutorial! I am new to sewing and I just made my 5mo daughter this with a Christmas fabric in about an hour! I was so proud. Now to make myself a matching one! Thanks so much so excited going to make us a whole summer wardrobe!! Love love love! God bless you.

59. Gina Mason
    December 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM (4 months ago)

If I use 100% cotton fabric like what you would quilt with, should I use a backing or double it back or should it be okay?

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
      January 9, 2017 at 7:53 AM (3 months ago)

You can use quilting fabric alone for the skirt. If it’s a light color or transparent, you might need a liner.

60. Naomi
    December 13, 2016 at 4:51 AM (3 months ago)

Hey! I’m going to give this skirt a go tomorrow! I was wondering about the length of elastic, is it the measurement of waist before or after doubling it for length of material? I’m guessing before I don’t want to waste elastic 🙂

Thanks!

61. Lea
    December 26, 2016 at 8:35 PM (3 months ago)

thank you for sharing your ideas – I felt inspired and made my daughter 3 skirts this morning 🙂

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Easy-Peasy Skirts

1. […] a first skirt, we used my easy-peasy skirt tutorial. She made it extra gathered because she said that was more fun. […]

2. […] outfit matches M’s except she requested a skirt. I used this pattern to quickly put together this sweet Minnie Mouse inspired […]