Car Roll and Mat

| For Kids, Tutorial

car mat

When I first saw this Riley Blake fabric (My Minds Eye – Wheels in Brown and White), I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I’ve seen other car rolls before, but this fabric just screamed “Wouldn’t a nice young boy (or girl) love to drive their cars on me???”.  So here’s a super simple car roll and mat.  (Note: I did not receive any compensation for using/mentioning Riley Blake fabrics – but I’ve got to say, who wouldn’t want to use it?)

car mat

The roll/mat holds 6 Matchbox sized cars.  The pocket size allows for various shapes of cars (trucks, SUVs, and of course, race cars).  It rolls up to approximately 5″h x 3.5″ in diameter, depending on the size of cars you pack in there.  The open mat measures  28 3/4″ x 17″.  This allows for enough room for two kids (I mean drivers) to play without getting too many traffic jams.

What you’ll need:

2 30″ x 18″ pieces of fabric, interfaced
1 10″ x 18″ piece for the pockets
small elastic hair band
button
Water soluble fabric pen

car mat

Oh, yeah, don’t forget the cars!

OK….. let’s make this!

car mat

Fold the pocket piece in half, wrong sides together, so that it’s now 5″ x 18″ and iron flat.

car mat

With right sides together, pin pocket piece to the mat piece (with the roads), raw edges together, on the left side of the mat.

car mat

Baste around the outer edge as close to the edge as possible.  (No more than 1/4″.)  This is your pocket. for the cars.

car mat

Mark the pockets:  Using a water soluble fabric marker, mark 3/4″ in from both edges of the pocket.  You will not sew these lines, they’re just for placement.

Starting at these lines, mark 6 pockets with 2 3/4″ between them.  (You should find you have exactly enough room for 6 pockets and the 3/4″ extra on both ends.)

car mat

Sew the 5 lines that create the pockets. (Don’t sew the lines that are 3/4″ from the edges.)

car mat

Baste an elastic loop roughly 4″ from the top right corner of the mat.  Lay it so that it’s on the mat piece and not sticking up off the fabric.

car mat

Pin the mat to the back piece, right sides together.

car mat

Sew around with a 3/8″ seam, leaving an opening (about 4″ – 5″) at the bottom for turning.

car mat

Trim corners and turn right side out.  Topstitch 3/8″ from the edge all the way around.

Almost done……

car mat

Put your cars in the pockets.

Roll up the mat.

car mat

Pull the elastic band a bit and mark with your fabric pen where the button should go.

car mat

Sew on the button and you’re done!

Would your little driver like this??

25 Comments

25 Comments on Car Roll and Mat

1. Jami
    July 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM (7 years ago)

This is such a smart idea!! The fabric is absolutely yummy! So wish I could sew! Your kids are so lucky! I’m going to follow you to see if your sewing abilities will possibly rub off on me!!
    Smiles!

2. CraftCrave
    July 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM (7 years ago)

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [07 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

3. Robin
    July 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM (7 years ago)

I love this and I know my son would love to have one!

4. The homebodies
    July 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM (7 years ago)

So cute! I’m so disappointed that I just bought a car mat for my son’s birthday- I would have loved to do something like this! (Maybe I still will!)

5. Anna
    July 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM (7 years ago)

so cute vanessa, I can see him playing with it. 🙂

6. Ooty
    July 8, 2010 at 2:55 AM (7 years ago)

Brilliant!

7. Mother★Lode
    July 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM (7 years ago)

So clever, creative, and FUN!! And a great tutorial, thank you so much for taking the time to put it together!

8. Ducks and Rabbits
    July 8, 2010 at 10:02 PM (7 years ago)

Very cute! I especially love the cute button. I love these fabrics and am going to make my toddler a quilt with them. This would be great if I have enough leftover.

9. Sew Much Ado
    July 9, 2010 at 12:14 PM (7 years ago)

That’s the cutest car mat I’ve seen yet! That fabric is so perfect, I need to make one for my boys now :).

Thanks for linking up to We Did It! Wednesday!

10. Kimara@weefolkart
    July 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM (7 years ago)

I love any well organized take-along toy. Never know when you’ll need to pass some time with the wee ones. This is fantastic. Fabric is great and the storage for the cars is brilliant. Thanks for sharing. I’ll be linking on Facebook.

11. Leslie
    July 13, 2010 at 1:31 AM (7 years ago)

Girl check you out! This is so adorable! I love Riley Blake fabric and what a perfect project to use it for! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial and for linking up to Hoo’s got talent!

12. Leslie
    July 14, 2010 at 2:43 AM (7 years ago)

I featured this cute project on Hoo’s got talent this week! Feel free to grab a I’ve got talent button!

13. sylvia
    July 31, 2011 at 9:55 AM (6 years ago)

this is really lovely, i just made one today with the same fabric on the front! i’ll feature it on my blog with a link to your tutorial within the next weeks.
    thanks so much!!

14. Elaine
    August 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM (6 years ago)

Thank you so much for this wonderful idea. Very cute, very fast, and perfect for the bottom of the diaper bag/purse. Made one for my son and then one for a birthday gift and they are super cute.

15. Heather
    October 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM (6 years ago)

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I have some of that fabric and will be making a few for Christmas. I just had one question – what kind of interfacing did you use? Thanks!

16. Vanessa
    October 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM (6 years ago)

Heather – I think I used a medium-light weight interfacing, but you can use anything you like — just not too heavy or it won’t roll up well.

17. anna jo
    December 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM (5 years ago)

I’m going to be a renegade and not use interfacing… is this a bad idea?? LOL

18. Deepa
    June 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM (5 years ago)

Wow, so cute. I wonder if there’s similar fabric with train tracks- my 3.5 year old is big into trains and Thomas.

And I need to learn to use a sewing machine (I knit, crochet, embroider, hand-sew, so why not?!).

19. Ally
    July 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM (5 years ago)

Soooo cute and so much easier than sewing on the roads with felt! Does anyone know if Riley Blake still sells this fabric? I can’t find it anywhere!!

20. Julianne K
    April 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM (3 years ago)

Love this! Going to sew this up for Easter Basket Treats 🙂

• Norma
      January 29, 2017 at 9:03 PM (4 months ago)

My grandson will love it!!!!! I’m making one soon!!
      One question what kind interface did you use?

• Vanessa@PunkinPatterns
        February 3, 2017 at 1:17 PM (4 months ago)

Honestly, it was so long ago that I don’t remember. I would suggest a woven mid to lightweight interfacing.